Based on original research from a seven–year global study, Uplifting Leadership reveals how leaders from diverse organizations inspired and uplifted their teams′ performance. Distilling the six common characteristics of leaders at high–performing organizations across business, sports, and education, authors Andy Hargreaves, Alan Boyle, and Alma Harris explore the nature of uplift, its impact on performance, and the ways to achieve it within and beyond an organization′s walls, revealing how leaders:
- Identify and articulate an inspiring dream that is coherently connected to the best of what the organization has been before
- Pursue that dream at a sustainable pace without squandering resources, incurring excessive debt, or burning people out
- Forge paths of innovation and improvement that others have overlooked or rejected
- Monitor progress by using metrics and indicators in a mindful and meaningful way
- Build teams that naturally pull people into change rather than pushing them through it
Featuring case studies of organizations as diverse as Burberry, DuPont, Fiat, Dogfish Head Craft Brewery, Marks & Spencer, Cricket Australia, Burnley Football Club, and the Vancouver Giants, as well as world–leading educational systems, Uplifting Leadership provides tools for leaders to incorporate these performance–driving strategies into their own.
For leaders who want their people to try harder, transform what they do, reach for a higher purpose, and stay resolute and resilient when opposing forces threaten to defeat them, Uplifting Leadership provides a path to better performance across any organization.